Dr. Besirli (pronounced “CHA-ra Buh-SEER-li”) joined the physician staff in 2013. He practices ophthalmology and teaches at the renowned University of Michigan Kellogg Eye Center in Ann Arbor and joins Wilkinson Eye Center weekly in our Pontiac location as our Retina Specialist. Dr. Besirli is board certified in ophthalmology.
He received his medical and graduate degrees from Washington University in St. Louis in 2006. He has completed his residency in ophthalmology at the W.K. Kellogg Eye Center at the University of Michigan in 2010, where he also completed fellowships in retina and uveitis in 2012. He also completed a fellowship in Pediatric Vitreoretinal Diseases with Associated Retinal Consultants, Royal Oak, Michigan.
Dr. Besirli’s research focus at Kellogg is in molecular mechanisms of photoreceptor cell death and survival during periods of retinal stress. He is a contributing member to numerous publications and medical journals. His specialty interests include but are not limited to:
- Disease and surgery of the retina and vitreous, including retinal detachment, diabetic retinopathy, age-related macular degeneration, retinal vascular disease, ocular trauma, ocular inflammation, macular and submacular surgery, and surgical management of complex retinal detachment
- Medical and surgical management of acquired and inherited pediatric retinal disorders, including retinopathy of prematurity (ROP), familial exudative vitreoretinopathy (FEVR), Coats’ disease, retinal detachment, and ocular trauma
Dr. Besirli is a member of the:
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Retinal Specialists
- Michigan Society of Eye Physicians and Surgeons
Dr. Besirli continues our collaboration with the University of Michigan, with the excellent retina services we have come to rely on at Wilkinson Eye Center.