At Wilkinson Eye Center, we believe that regular examinations will ensure proper vision and eye health. However, many patients in the Pontiac and Clarkston, MI areas may be unsure how often they should see a medical provider for evaluations. Our doctors are available to educate you on how often you should see a doctor for an examination and what to expect during your appointment.
How often should I have an eye examination?
How often you need to have an eye examination depends on many factors. While some people may only need to see an eye doctor every few years, others may need to be examined more frequently. Some of the factors which can affect how often you need an eye exam include:
- Your age
- Your overall health
- Your family history of eye disease
- Whether you have diabetes or another medical condition that can affect your eyes
- Whether you wear contact lenses or glasses
- How often you are exposed to potentially harmful environments or activities (such as working with chemicals)
Your eye doctor will advise you on how often you should have an eye examination based on your individual vision needs, and these appointments can be made immediately following your current visit.
What should I expect during my upcoming eye examination?
Eye examinations are designed to evaluate your vision and check for any eye problems. During your evaluation, your doctor will:
- Check your vision with an eye chart
- Evaluate your eyes for any signs of disease or injury
- Test your eyesight using a lighted instrument called an ophthalmoscope
- Examine the overall health of the retina and optic nerve
- Test your eye muscle function and coordination
- Scope the inside of your eyes for any abnormalities
After your examination, your doctor will discuss the results with you and answer any questions you have. If you have been diagnosed with an eye condition, they will provide information on treatment options. In some cases, you might receive a referral to a specialist if you need more advanced care than what can be provided by our team.
Call Wilkinson Eye Center for your evaluation!
We understand how vital your vision health is over the years and encourage you to schedule an evaluation if it has been a few years since your last appointment. Call Wilkinson Eye Center at 248-334-4931 to schedule an examination with our doctors at either of our two office locations in Pontiac and Clarkston, MI.